Room to Roam: Bare-Bones Edition
A downloadable game for Windows
Welcome to Room to Roam!
Made for EduJam: Art Saves the World
*Currently undergoing a total revamp and being ported to Unity, all of which we are thrilled about and hope will be enjoyed by the game's community!*
A handcrafted, atmospheric game with platforming, puzzles, places, and stories to explore.
You play as Iuchitro (yoo-cheet-roh), a wredly who dwells in his ancestral family cave. Beyond the cave he calls home, there are objects to collect, characters to meet, and lore to uncover, and more. The one and only obstacle: the encroachment. If you do not explore the areas around you, you will find that the way ahead has become blocked. Explore, sing and chirp to clear encroachment early to avoid being overwhelmed, and to allow yourself the opportunity to adventure even further. Along the way, you will meet trills (sprites) who will accompany you, share in your endeavours, and have plans of their own.
- Interact with creatures to solve puzzles, learn more about the game world, and make changes to things around you.
- Toggle between songs, wredly chirps, and several creature languages to communicate (and for fun).
- Relaxing, interesting, and varied gameplay. You can play it as a parkour platformer and seek out obstacles and things to climb. You can seek adventure and do glorious song, puzzle, and physics-based combat, where the environment and your choices matter, not your health bar (there is none). Or you can gather trills and seeds, study your cave paintings, and visit creatures you like.
- This game will not punish you for enjoying what it has to offer at your own pace. All options, greater depth of gameplay, and technical challenges are there to hop into anytime.
Please do not feel obligated to pay for this game. It is intended to be free and enjoyed.
We hope you'll follow Room to Roam's development, and tell us what you think! Feel free to report bugs, make suggestions, and ask questions!
Updates & Schedule
This game receives smaller updates packed with fixes and improvements, and big fancy updates featuring new levels, puzzles, NPCs, assets, lore, and more. Updates can sometimes break saved game files, but that's only to be expected with bigger changes. It is recommended that you reset your profile and begin a new game when updating.
Tell us what you'd like to see in the game, and what bugs you need fixed, and you'll most likely find it listed here soon!
Currently being worked on:
- Unity and Android rebuild
- A new level with the usual treats and a very springy and vertical way about it
- A new tail system and textured, moving feathers for Iuchitro so that he may feel even more beautiful
- More story, including Hrahe's continued journey homeward and her adventures therein, and Iuchitro's investigation into ancient ruins and artifacts with the help of others, a dangerous encounter with winged creatures in distress, and more!
*More content, improved physics, additional game mechanics, an online song forum, and much more are already being tested for implementation. Everything from multiplayer gameplay to swinging from trees by your tail to sailing on an ice floe with a creature named Lidjil (the ice floe's name is Tewsil the Far-Faring). We are interested in improving Mac compatibility, as well as bringing the game to Android and consoles.
Contact Hazy Paw Games Inc. with any questions, ideas, or for troubleshooting assistance. Thanks for playing!
Check out some early gameplay videos for Room to Roam:
Check out our Raring to Roam playlist for more videos:
- Intended for Windows OS, but can run on Mac and Linux with Wine and XQuartz.
- If Windows Defender or similar programs pop up with a window, simply click More Info (or equivalent button) and grant permission. Don't worry, we're nice.
- Extract All when installing.
- Check your Firewalls and .exe permissions.
- Run RtR.exe to play.
- Works best at 1600x1024 Resolution.
- To move your save to another computer, copy Profile.nik, which can be found under HazyPawGames/RoomtoRoam in your User folder (on Windows), or in the installation directory.
Discuss the game on Facebook or here on Itch
|Made with||Audacity, GIMP|
|Tags||2D, Abstract, artgame, Atmospheric, Casual, Exploration, Singleplayer|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Links||Community, Patreon, Community, Twitter, Community, Community, Community|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- New LauncherMay 04, 2019
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thanks for sharing your Room to Roam: Bare-Bones Edition experience! We look forward to hearing what you think when the game's revamp and Unity port are ready for the community. Room to Roam's development is currently scheduled for after the release of our latest project (working title: Asteroidea). Feel free to explore our projects and contact Hazy Paw Games if you need to!